Pundulums was possibly one of the most fun projects I’ve even been paid to work on.
The client for this project has a love for puns and wanted a way to share them with the world.
One of the main challenges for designing a web app that delivers puns, is that each TIMING is a very important aspect of pun delivery. The amount of pause between the the setup and the punchline is critical to the pun’s success. In order to account for this, I came up with a formula that determines how long on average a pun should take someone to read, and when the punchline should be delivered for maximum hilarity.
The main goals when building this web app were:
- Deliver text-based puns in an effective and novel way.
- Have a simple and easy to use way of adding new puns to the list.
- Allow users to share the puns on social media without ruining the punchline (the shared post contains the setup and a link to see the punchline on the web app).
- Allow users to post comments in the app.
- “Smart” pun delivery system.
- Users can continue reading from where they left off when coming back to the app.
- Simple text based pun “database”.
- Custom Twitter and Facebook integration allows users to share puns without ruining the punchline and drives interaction with the site.
- Deep Google Analytics Integration.
- The site is static so it does not require a formal database and is very fast.
Major Technologies Used
- Facebook API
- Twitter API